A good quality lathe is important in woodturning because it helps you use your work skills and maintain the workspace.
Finding the best lathe in the market is not only tricky but also requires technical knowledge and definitely, you must have thousands of options.
Among all of them, here I will give you the Shop Fox W1758 Lathe review with cast iron legs and digital readout, the smartest lathe at a competitive price.
It is difficult but not impossible to buy a perfect wood lathe according to the budget for woodcraft. After reading this article, you will get a complete idea of why you should give a thought to buy this lathe.
Here, we will discuss the good aspects of that lathe and the overall technical details. Let’s see.
- 1 Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe Review And Its Features
- 2 Technical Details of This Shop Fox Wood Lathe
- 3 Pros of Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe
- 4 Cons of Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Final Verdict
Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe Review And Its Features
The Shop Fox W1758 lathe with 110v2HP motors is made of original iron. Its bed and leg bed are also both made of cast iron.
Being heavy enough, it prevents vibration and increases stability.
The Shop Fox lathe with adjustable ten-speed can rotate 600 to 2400 times per minute.
This machine is suitable for perfect outboard turning. Outboard turning usually requires a variety of faceplate turning. And it requires the stock diameter not less than 12 inches.
You can comfortably take the position of the headstock at 90 or 100 hundred degrees in case of a work piece of a large radius.
Quick Lock and Tool Rest
Both headstock and tailstock have quick lock and release facility. And you can rotate the headstock up to 0 degrees, 60 degrees, 90 degrees, and 180 degrees.
One can adjust the tool rest of this Shop Fox W1758 lathe in three ways which gives proper support to the tools while rotating the wood.
The tool rest can be raised and lowered from the work piece as needed, and also able to maintain the distance. And the tool rest has an easy-to-use locking handle that maintains accuracy and momentum.
Cast Iron Tailstock
The lathe also has a cast iron tailstock that is quickly adjustable and can hold the wood up to 46 inches long.
Some Others Shop Fox Wood Lathe W1758 Parts
- Both the bed and the leg are made of cast iron. It helps to stabilize the lathe and reduce the vibration satisfactorily.
- There is an opportunity to use tool rest extensions which have made outboard turning easier.
- Quick-lock and release system has made the work comfortable and easy.
- Having a tachometer easily gives an idea about the spindle speed.
- Able to rotate 600 to 2400 times per minute, adjustable ten-speed.
- Uses a cam-action clamping system that allows the tailstock to stick firmly to the bed.
Technical Details of This Shop Fox Wood Lathe
- Manufacturer – Shop Fox
- Part Number – W1758
- Item Weight – 338 pounds
- Is Discontinued By Manufacturer?
- Size – 43 Inch
- Power source – Corded Electric
- Horsepower – 2 HP
- Batteries Included or required?
- Warranty – 2 years
Pros of Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe
- Usage of original cast iron has made the lathe stand out solid.
- The two horsepower motor has made it unique and has given it an unbelievable rotational ability.
- The tachometer and the ten-speed option provide the user with greater control over the lathe.
- The manufacturer offers two years warranty.
Cons of Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe
- Much heavier, you will find it difficult to move alone.
- Its minimum speed may seem too much to the beginners.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What kind of belt has been used in this lathe?
Answer: M243 L240 belt has been used in this lathe. The belt is 24 inches * 3/8 inch. And the belt is wide enough.
Q: What is the maximum diameter of wood that can be rotated in this lathe?
Answer: Since the motor can be rotated up to 90 degrees, you can rotate large wood. But if we only consider the center, you can rotate wood up to sixteen inches in diameter.
Q: Does this lathe have a swing range of 12, 16 or17 inches?
Answer: This lathe can swing over a bed with a radius of more than eight inches but less than eight and a half inches. As such, you will be able to work with workpieces up to a maximum of sixteen inches in diameter.
Q: Does the lathe have a changeable belt system for variable speed?
Answer: Yes, of course. This lathe has given you a changeable belt system at a competitive price which I found to be effective. If you want to get this benefit at a very low price, there is a possibility of danger.
Q: Is it possible to set up a speed of less than 600 rpm on this lathe?
Answer: Unfortunately, the minimum speed of this lead is 600 rpm. However, some people prefer low speed in the beginning.
Q: How is the vibration?
Answer: You should always keep in mind that the lighter the lathe, the higher the vibration, and as a result, you will not be able to work comfortably.
However, this lathe weighs more than 300 pounds, so it is needless to say that the lathe is stable enough. Made of cast iron, it not only looks tough but is also quite stable when working. Some users also claim it to be a zero vibration lathe.
The research we have done makes it very clear that this lathe will be a good lathe for anyone who is willing to work with woodturning or already has skills.
Shop Fox W1758 Wood Lathe’s main goal is to market a lathe that can be used by users for a long time without facing any trouble. That is why they have paid full attention to the tiny details while making the lathe.
The manufacturer not only used very original and solid material to make the lathe perfectly stable and durable but also used tachometers and other strict locking systems to give the user complete control over the lathe.
The quality that Shop Fox W1758has provided undoubtedly suggests that you are investing your money in the right place.